Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Cubes
Ultra-porous Biological Media with Superior Performance Characteristics
- Utilizes NanoIntelex Technology to create an enhanced material with vast surface area for colonization by beneficial nitrifying bacteria, resulting in rapid and efficient conversion of ammonia into nitrite and nitrate.
- The highest colonizable surface area to volume ratio of synthetic biological filtration media available.
- Higher efficiency relative to conventional media results in smaller space requirements to achieve equivalent nitrification.
- May be employed to rapidly decrease ammonia and nitrite concentrations in even the most heavily-stocked aquatic systems.
- May be used in conjunction with Xport NO3 Cubes and Xport PO4 Cubes
Instructions - Guidelines
Read all instructions before use. The use of a mechanical pre-filter to remove particulate organic material from water prior to its interaction with this media will improve efficiency. Rinse Xport-BIO in purified water or low-TDS fresh water, then place media into a clean pail and fill with water from the aquarium into which the media is to be placed. Seed each 150g of Xport Bio Cubes used with 20-ml of MicroBacter7 (poured into the pail and dispersed by hand), then allow media to remain in this "bath" for 24-hours at room temperature. Remove Xport Bio Cubes from pail and pour water into the aquarium system, then place Xport Bio Cubes into canister filter, media reactor, or 800µm mesh filter bag; a flow-through rate of 1 - 3x the total aquarium volume per hour is recommended. Do not fluidize. Remove and rinse ~33% of the total Xport Bio Cubes employed in a pail of discarded aquarium water (when performing a water change) once or twice each month, and place media back into use. Apply 1-ml of MicroBacter7 per 20 US-gallons (~76 L) in system to aquarium in an area of high water flow to fortify media after rinsing.
Xport Bio Cubes is not a chemical filtration media; it must be seeded with appropriate bacteria to begin nitrification. Simply placing Xport Bio Cubes into an established aquarium will slowly seed the media, however seeding with MicroBacter7 as directed above will significantly decrease cycling time and therefore results in faster results. In all systems, begin with a ratio of 150 g Xport Bio Cubes per 300 US-gallons (1,136 L) in system. Nitrification will typically begin within one day; rate of nitrification increases with time (generally mature within 2 weeks) and increasing nitrogen content in system. If plants and/or zooxanthellate invertebrates (e.g. corals, clams, etc.) appear to react negatively to the use of Xport Bio Cubes, it may be an indication that nitrogen is being removed too aggressively; NeoNitro or FlorinGro may be employed to provide nitrogen as nitrate, and feeding with the appropriate foods is necessary for all zooxanthellate invertebrates. Note that the required amount of Xport Bio Cubes may change as the system matures, and as biomass and/or stocking density changes; high-nutrient systems may require a greater ratio of Xport Bio Cubes to water volume, evident as a persistent ammonia presence regardless of how much MicroBacter7 is employed.